Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hi! Is this the Pain Cave?

Why yes it is! Come on in and have a seat!

Cross racing started today. I did two races, Masters B and Singlespeed. I rode my singlespeed for both. I was overgeared (again) and never really had a chance. I should receive two (smallish) chainrings this week...

First race, I was doing pretty well until I crashed going fast down a fairly steep hill with a pair of left-hand turns at the bottom. The first two laps I railed the turns; I could feel the tires sliding, but I kept it in control. The third lap the bike slid out from beneath me, and I hit the ground pretty had. I lost on position, but got right back into it. On the next lap, I crashed in the same spot, perhaps a bit harder this time. Tore my shorts, got a nice patch of road rash, jammed a bunch of dirt up in the brake lever, and generally had a miserable rest of the race. I finished. DFL, but I finished.

I swapped tires after that race. Is there ever a good reason to run Kenda Small Block 8 tires? I'm not sure there is. I threw on some tires with a bit more bit, and prepared for 45 more minutes of suffering.

Suffer I did. Being overgeared, sore, bleeding, and dealing with brake rub meant I was pretty much just trying to fight my way to the finish. I did finish, and managed to avoid the DFL spot. But not by much...

Gotta get healed up for starcross in Seattle next weekend. As noted, I should have a wider set of chainrings to choose from and I will run some tires with grip from the get-go. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go rub some ointment on my wounds...

No comments: