Monday, October 30, 2006

Ah, that new bike smell



The pictures are not great; I'll try to get something with more resolution up later.

I picked up the new bike on Saturday morning. Put it together Saturday afternoon. Had a few non-bike things to do in the evening, so the test ride had to wait until around 11 PM Saturday night.

The bike is awesome! The paint turned out exactly as I hoped; gloss black with a metallic silver fade. The silver just sparkles in the sun. Perfect.

As you can see, the bike is dirty. I left early Sunday morning to drive up to Kalkaska to pre-ride the Iceman course. A group of us went, including two former singlespeed class winners. The weather was cold but with bright sunshine, and the course was very fast. The bike felt great; stiff, solid and no frame-related mechanical problems. The Paragon sliding dropouts performed as advertised.

There are still some set-up issues to work out. The stem needs to be lower, and I need to get my Jones bars mounted. The Quiring is a bit heavier than my old 26er, and that fact combined with my lack of experience on the 29er wheels and the narrow bar I ran yesterday left me fighting some of the hills late in the day yesterday. All things considered, I am very pleased with the bike.

Now it is decision time: Which bike to ride at Iceman? I have many thousands of mile on the old bike, but it has a bad habit of throwing the chain during big races. I have less than 50 miles on the new frame, but I seems unlikely to have chain issues. Thought and comments appreciated.

7 comments:

Endurosnob said...

Roll the Quiring and steer with the hips.

That thing is GORGEOUS!!!

Danielle Musto said...

I don't want to have to pass you on the side of the trail over and over again this time...ride the new bike!!!!

Carl Santiago said...

joe,

The 29er looks awesome! As for which bike to use. I would be in the same dilemma. I would lean towards using the older setup because my body is used to the 26 setup. Or ride the new 29 and get used to it before and during the Iceman.

CARL

Steve Kinley said...

What tires are you running for Iceman? :)

Anonymous said...

you don't get a new grilfriend and leave her at home. unless of course you plan on staying home too.....
new bike vote.

SpeedyChix said...

Sweet ride! If you get in a another 'issue-free'ride....go with the big wheels. Ice Man is made for a 29er.

Will you make a stem swap to lower the bars?

Anonymous said...

I say go with the new bike. You have no idea if there are going to be any problems with the new bike, but from what I have read you have a very good chance of chain problems using the old one. Just my 2 cents.